View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Wow, nice work. That's some impressive scripting. It seems like it might be a pain for you to keep editing the posts though. Perhaps the way to go is to run the script on the server....

There are some issues to keep in mind though:
  • Some Cat numbers on GMR are wrong, or in a different format than we use. As an example, see SCDC-00564~66, which is SCDC-00564~6 in our database. You might want to adjust the script to filter out those variations.
  • There's a lot of data on GMR that is questionable, or just plain wrong. This includes albums that don't exist and albums that have nothing to do with VGM.

So, while I think it's great to use this tool to help identify albums we don't have yet, going through from A or Z and adding everything just to match GMR's content is not the best approach to take. I'd much rather see everyone submit at a slower pace, carefully verifying the albums using various sources (most of which will be Japanese), adding original and translated tracklists, tracking down artist information, and including scans from YJA so that we have complete entries instead of a bunch of stubs that we aren't sure about.

BTW, Kaleb abandoned the idea of culling GMR from one end. I think it's better to pick a set of albums that you are familiar with. I've been working through some catalogue number runs, but so far I'm only adding stuff that I've got good information on. I'll make a second pass over them later, and cover the missing ones, but that will be much harder work. This script will be useful in finding what I've missed.