View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Agreed on most accounts. Though, an option to toggle use of aliases seems kind of pointless to me, and it would look bad on albums where an artist uses multiple aliases. I guess to remedy this you could add some sort of aliases and artists-using-aliases spans that could be toggled between, which is similar to what is done for names (or you could repopulate the fields through some sort of ajax trickery, or just make people refresh.)

With regards to unifying artist pages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Alias filtering is being planned for discography pages, but in any case the main reason we have alias entries right now is to record information beyond the alias name (such as Japanese names, website, etc). Currently, if you link an album to an artist using only a text alias (without making a separate entry for the alias), you can't add additional languages for the alias name.

A way to solve this is to decouple artist name fields from the artist table (and make a general table for name translations). But that will come after we do the same for the track/tracklist table.
And since we're talking about names, it'd be nice to see some way of overriding the use of original names on album credits, there's artists who are sometimes credited by their romanized name (and some only by that name.) This has been bugging me forever.